Saturday, October 8, 2011

Technology - Is It a River or a Sinkhole


I was thinking today about the timeless and pretty much perfect analogy of life as a river, flowing sometimes slow, sometimes fast but always moving forward. And then of all things I started to think of technology.

On the surface technology has moved forward on a journey similar to that of the river, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, but always moving, always changing.

But underneath, is it really a river. I would contend that it is a double edged sword. The explosive nature of our current society's quest for a meaningful spirituality has been aided significantly by technology. But is it because of technology that such a need arose?

More and more the basis of all our machines is the computer. Unless you are buying basic garden equipment, a shovel for example, you can hardly get away from owning something without a chip. Even the shovel was probably designed for optimum digging. Computers are pretty basic at their core, 0/1 and any infinite possible combination thereof. In addition data is shared in packets, not in one coherent stream. The assumption is the 0/1 doesn't care about a single stream of thought, only getting it from one place to another.

It concerns me that we are trusting our selves more and more to a 0/1 mentality. Think of the analogies, black/white, on/off, and last but not least right/wrong. I believe that is contrary to our river of life. A river that is fluid and constant.

It feels to me that government, business, and even individual groups are becoming more and more a 0/1 collective. They don't see nor accept the gray.

But gray is what life is about isn't it? We are all questing, flowing with the river and discovering new currents that always teach us if we are willing to learn. So the 0/1 is contrary to what we as humans need. We need the gray.

So we search for a new spirituality that will let us keep our technology, but also allow us to be more than a 0/1 society.

But is is hard to swim against that current of technology.

Peace friends.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice. Bare feet on grass or a walk in the woods helps the 0/1 mentality.

Hanakia Ek~Way Zedek said...

I find technology a blessing. I for one am not interested in grey....only effect. Technology works for me it is both fluid and precise as is my creativity. To me, technology is aware it works for and with me and sometimes without me asking....it is my friend...and if it turns on me one day. I'll have a can of Whoopass ready! HZ