Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What Responsibilities?

I had a wonderful party thrown for me on Saturday. My daughter came, as well as many friends, some of whom I haven’t seen for a long time. It was a great time, but by being asked so many questions of my motivation for pursuing this endeavor to Alamosa, I realized there was one question that I haven’t been able to answer until recently. That is, if I follow what I believe the universe wants me to do, what obligation do I have to those I have responsibilities to? It is a question I am sure has plagued many others than just I. It is a question that often makes it hard to take that last step to full faith in the universe. I struggled with this for the last several years, feeling the responsibility to my family, and yet feeling that strong compulsion to move in a different direction in my life.

I believe I have now answered this question for myself. Some may call it rationalization, but I believe it is more than that. If I truly have faith in universal guidance, I have to believe that my decision will not bring ultimate harm to those around me, as long as they too listen to the direction given by their hearts. It is presumptuous of me to think I can make a choice that’s best for them, but I know I can always make a choice towards a path that feels right for me. One needs to have faith that this decision works out best for those around me also.

This is a difficult concept to accept. Through my life, my choices have always been about family. By choosing to have a family of my own, I incurred obligations that I have been extremely fortunate to have been able to fulfill. I have made choices that I believe have been to the benefit of my family. But as I said before, this is presumptuous. I cannot possibly know that by making other choices my family would have been impacted negatively. This sort of “self sacrifice” may have been entirely unnecessary. Be that as it may, I have no regrets and am filled with joy every time I think of the wonderful family I have been a part of.

Obviously we can’t ignore those around us. But with proper discussion and caution, following a path you feel compelled by the universe to follow should not bring pain into anyone’s life, and you should not be racked with guilt over such a decision. Helping others to understand your decision, and helping them move through the fear of change into a position of readiness to listen to the universe is important.

No comments: