Sunday, June 26, 2011

Constucts and Tapping into our Inclination

Recently I listened to a utube video by Hanakia Zedek. In it he talked about listening to our inclination. I found this an interesting concept. He didn't use the word intuition which we are often told to listen too. I translate intuition into something that speaks to external events, whereas inclination is that which we are meant to do.

We don't really need to know what this is as Hanakia points out, but merely need to be able to listen so as to make the choice that rings true with us. As a flower's inclination is to so we too need to do that which is inherit in us.

Though in philosophical terms this is easy to say, in real terms it is hard to pull off. I believe this is because the constructs that are created by humanity are at their base designed to prevent this from happening. What we think is created by these constructs. They prevent us from seeing the truth, whatever you feel truth may be.

I came to start understanding the concept of constructs and how they influence us by reading Buber (see 6/25/09 post). All life is encounter. I require a you for me. The constructs is how we understand that interaction. But to take it further, if I meet you in the construct I don't see the real you. I see the you I have defined.

For example, look at a tree. For a brief instant when you see it you don't think of it as a sum of parts but as an entity that merges with your thought. But pretty much immediately we break the tree down to its parts, defining the leaves and branches, whether it is an oak or a maple.

This is the construct of the tree. Not the tree itself. Our life is lived in constructs.

So what does this have to do with inclination? I believe that many of our inclinations often run counter with the constructs we have created. Constructs of success or societal norms. Which is why when we listen to our inclination and try to follow it, we find ourselves being diverted to other things. Of course this causes conflict in ourselves.

I know now that I have been waging this battle for years. The way I inherently view life tends to differ from the construct of life I have been taught. I have worked at fitting in, doing things the way the constructs tell me. But I have been finding this increasingly difficult.

My challenge now is to learn to see beyond the constructs and trust my own insight. Guilt, anger, frustration need not exist for me if I can learn to follow my inclination.

And what do I know of my inclination? It certainly is more people focused. I know it has to do with teaching, healing, experiencing. I keep looking for a career, but know the careers are just another construct. Instead of looking for a career, I need to start doing those things that make me feel like I am cruising downhill, instead of running uphill.

Peace all.

No comments: