Thursday, March 19, 2009

Thinking About Thinking About Nothing

As I was walking in this morning, I was watching the birds and looking at trees and it got me to wondering what life would be like if we just were instinctual like animals. I know people like to attribute human characteristics to animals but let's face it, they act primarily out of instinct. So how cool would it be to not think, not really have strong emotions, but be guided by nature?

How would it feel to be a bird soaring through the air? Or a squirrel running around, climbing trees, and getting fried by electric lines? And then the answer came to me. If I were completely instinctual, how would I know? Does a bird flying really think "this is really cool"? Probably not. They are just following the patterns that are genetically implanted.

Of course we can imagine all we want, another thing that would be impossible acting on instinct. So I have decided that acting on instinct is a good thing, but having the emotions and thoughts are also a huge blessing (even though at times they may hurt us). To find a balance between all of nature, our nature, our emotions, and our thoughts seems to be the lesson.

I do understand more and more why believing in yourself and letting life flow through you is the key. I always felt something subtly wrong with the image of us being in a river where we can swim with or against the current. I like to take the concept a little further and think of the river flowing through us, where we merge with life as we learn and become part of the flow, not an object seperate to it.

So as parting words all I can say is "BE THE WATER, FLOW AS THE RIVER FLOWS WITH YOU". Love you all.

No comments: