Friday, May 22, 2009

Riddle?

As I was meditating the other day, a riddle was posed to me. A young girl, perhaps 8 or 9, came and took my hand. We flew to a very barren place, just rock and sand, no vegetation. The young girl looked at me and asked "Is it beautiful?".

I immediately wanted to reply that everything is beautiful, but I didn't really feel that. I did not say anything. We then continued walking until I realized we were actually on a huge mesa or plateau. We came to the edge, and below me I saw a rich valley filled with trees and plush vegetation. There was a river. The scene was breathtaking. The young girl looked up at me and asked "Is it beautiful now?".

I looked behind me and below me, and really didn't know what to answer. And was I being asked about the mesa or the valley?

And so the riddle. I can think about many meanings for this, and yet none seem to really fit. Like any riddle, there is likely not one answer, but surely there is an answer for me.

I am on my way home, sitting in a hotel in Sterling, CO. I am ready to be home, sad to be leaving. I am experiencing emotions I don't think I have ever had. Funny thing is I feel happy about that.

No comments: